Matching capacity to meet demand for healthcare services is a long
We know that when they don’t match, our patients’
journeys are interrupted and patient pathways simply don’t flow
smoothly. Poor flow is not just confined to the inability to hit the
headline targets, it can be found almost anywhere.
NHS Elect has
significant experience of working with healthcare teams to help them
understand their own system and design their service to meet the demand
We use approaches based on the NHS Institute’s 7 Ways to
No Delays and the NHS Modernisation Agency’s Ten High Impact Changes,
which are proven to help staff improve flow.
NHS Elect can
support organisations and teams to review their capacity and demand as
well as deliver half day and full day training programmes that cover:
- The importance of mapping the system you want to flow better
- What is ‘true’ demand and capacity and how do you measure it
- Understanding the impact of variation on your system
- Using SPC charts to predict future demand
- Strategies for improving the flow through the system, including
reducing variation, extending roles, gaining capacity, removing carve
out, segmenting pathways, reducing batching and identifying bottlenecks.
- Use of process templates to aid scheduling your capacity
train teams in capacity and demand tools and techniques and also
analyse your local information to enable clinical teams to get a better
understanding of their demand and capacity. When problem areas are
identified, our team will help deliver local change programmes.
“Demand and Capacity Master Class session – inspirational!”
Luca Cicalese, Senior Information Analyst,
South London Healthcare NHS Trust